LGV Category C (Formerly HGV Class 2)


The LGV Category C licence was formerly commonly known as HGV class 2. The LGV Category C licence will allow drivers who pass the Category C driving test to drive any rigid Category C vehicle up to 32 tonnes. Once you successfully pass your LGV Cat C test, you will obtain Category C on your licence as well as Category C1 (7.5 tonne licence).


If you have a manual Category B licence (car licence), then you will only be required to take the Category C driving test in an automatic vehicle. This is the preferred route for most of our candidates. However, despite this rule, we would still recommend taking the LGV class 2 test in a manual vehicle, as the gearbox sequence in lorries is significantly different to that of a car, and without training or prior experience using a lorry gearbox, you may well find it difficult to seek employment as a HGV Class 2 driver. Ultimately, the choice is yours.



If you passed your driving test after the 1st January 1997 you will need to pass a trailer towing test to get the E category on your licence. This allows you to tow caravans or trailers over 750kg, or a maximum loaded weight of under 3500kg combined loaded weight for the car and trailer. 


The loaded weight for the car can be found on the vehicles log book and the loaded weight for the trailer or caravan will be plated on the 'A' frame or trailer itself. Without your towing licence you would be restricted to a smaller trailer of up to 750kg. This means that anyone under the age of 34 in 2013 would most likely have to pass this test or anyone that has not held a full car licence for 16 years in 2013. 


Most people and companies are still unaware of this and are therefore towing illegally, which means they will not be insured. This can result in a driving ban if stopped by the police or even worse, if an accident did occur you personally would be liable for any damages, as your insurance would not be valid. V.O.S.A also have patrol vehicles regularly checking weights and licences.


There is no theory test requirement to obtain a C+E licence. This is because the "+E" part of a driving entitlement simply means "and trailer over 750kg". By adding the right to tow a trailer, you are simply extending your existing Category C entitlements (for which you would have already passed a theory test for) as opposed to obtaining a new category of licence.


Just like the Category C Class 2 driving test, if you have a manual Category B licence (car licence), or indeed a manual Category C licence, then you will only be required to take the Category C+E driving test in an automatic vehicle.



PCV Category D1 (Minibus Licence)


The minbus PCV Category D1 test is for those people who would like to get their category D1 minibus licence, to be able to drive minibuses with up to 17 seats (including drivers seat) and derive an income from driving minbuses for hire and reward.




D1 Licence Exceptions


Drivers who passed their Category B (car licence) before 1st January 1997, will benefit from acquired rights (also referred to as grandfathering rights). This means that these group of drivers already have the D1 entitlement on their driving licence, however, there is a restriction code 101 attached to this entitlement which does not permit you to drive a minbus for hire and reward. Therefore, if you have the "101" restriction on your licence, then you can drive a minibus with up to 17 seats for private use, providing you are not doing it for hire and reward purposes (that is for profit). If you would like to drive a minibus for hire and reward (ie to earn money for it), then you must sit and pass the D1 minibus test.

C1 (7.5 TONNE)

The C1 licence is slightly less common these days, as hauliers upscale their fleets to meet rising demand. However, we know that some people still need it. If you're training to be a Paramedic, own a small Horsebox, work for a supermarket, own a small business or work in the removals industry, this may be the licence for you.


With a Category C1 Licence you will be eligible to drive an LGV of between 3,500kg and 7,500kg. You can also add a trailer of no more than 750kg. This vehicle is commonly known as a 7.5 ton, Class 3 or C1, and is typically used for making local supermarket deliveries, or removals.


The training takes between 4 and 5 days, depending on experience. Once you've got the licence, we would expect you to be able to earn a starting salary of £20k per year, rising with experience.

Other Services

We also provide comapany assessments, Refresher training, Familiarisation training and Job specific training. If you require further information please get in touch and one of our team members will be sure to help!

01902 471715



01902 47 17 15



© 2023 by SBB LOGISTICS TRAINING SERVICES Proudly created with